Tuesday, February 26, 2013


Teach Like a Champion
Technique #25
Wait Time

“Minds work fast, and the amount of additional time necessary to improve the quality of answers may be small.”

KEY IDEA:  Delaying a few strategic seconds after you finish asking a question and before you ask a student to begin answering it.

Wait Time:  A pause of 3 to 5 seconds

Narrated Wait Time:
1.  “I’m waiting for more hands.”
2.  “I’d like to see at least fifteen hands before we hear an answer.”
3.  “I’m waiting for someone who can . . .”
4.  “I’m going to give everyone lots of time because this question is tricky.  Your first answer may not be the best.”

5.  “I’m seeing people thinking deeply and jotting down thoughts.  I’ll give everyone a few more seconds to do that.”

6.  “I’m seeing people . . . That seems like a great idea.”
7.  “I’m looking for someone who’s pointing to the place in the passage where you can find the answer.”
8.  “I’ll start taking answers in ten seconds.”
9.  “I’m starting to see more hands now.  Four, five, seven.  Great.  People are really starting to get comfortable taking a risk here.”

10. “You can go back to using your notes if you need to.”
11. “I’ll give you some think time.”
12.  “Good job going back and using your notes.”


From Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemove (Jossey Bass, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment